wirelesscollege.myfreeforum.org Forum Index wirelesscollege.myfreeforum.org
A Forum for former Instructors, Students and Friends of The Wireless College, Colwyn Bay, North Wales 1920 - 1970. www.wirelesscollege.co.uk
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Join! (free) Join! (free)
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Friendship Club, and St Johns Sunday Evening's.

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wirelesscollege.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Jack & Alans Hostilery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Trevor Clements



Joined: 08 Nov 2007
Posts: 10


Location: Poole

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: The Friendship Club, and St Johns Sunday Evening's.  Reply with quote

Do any of you reprobates remember The Friendship Club? It was a youth club somewhere in the town which I attended a few times. Quite good for dancing as they played lots of Buddy Holly and Eddie Cochrane stuff.

More staid was St Johns ( Revd Copplestone) where the girls used to serve up fabulous sandwiches, but the entertainment was more sobering. At one time I was on the Committee with Mr Sackville, the lovely Joan Morgan, I think Gus Lynch as well? They organised a very good trip to Liverpool just before I left.
Some (unkind) students nicknsamed Joan Morgan 'The Lobster' on account of a very bright scarlett coat which she used to wear. A very nice girl though, I often wonder what became of her. Mr Sackville was a very sober man who only ever drank hot water, but he was very kind. He once gave us a bit of a lecture on the evils of alcohol.
_________________
Trevor Clements
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
James Clarke



Joined: 09 Jul 2013
Posts: 61


Location: Isle of Anglesey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The Friendship Club, and St Johns Sunday Evening's. Reply with quote

Trevor Clements wrote:
He once gave us a bit of a lecture on the evils of alcohol.
.

Did it work for you Trevor?

James
_________________
There are no strangers here. Only friends you haven't yet met.              William Butler Yeats
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Trevor Clements



Joined: 08 Nov 2007
Posts: 10


Location: Poole

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it didn't. What did for me with alcohol was two years on a ship with an all Scots crew, and whiskey a frequent cargo. I cant even smell the stuff now without feeling ill.

I still like a decent beer, I mean a decent one not the mass produced rubbish the big boys turn out. A glass of New Zealand sauvignon blanc, or a gin and tonic.

I'm a bit surpised none of my contemporaries seem to remember the friendhip club.
_________________
Trevor Clements
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
raymondo30837



Joined: 05 Nov 2010
Posts: 185


Location: France

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than Jack and Don.....friendship appears to be a lost cause on this website..........The site is all about former College students...With a very limited response to all posts....Wake up!!! Or!!!!!! The many memories we can swap will just disappear.....That would be really sad for our former college. Crying or Very sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Don Armour



Joined: 01 Jul 2008
Posts: 654


Location: Wiltshire

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"All those moments will be lost in time - like tears in rain".
Rutger Hauer, "Bladerunner", closing sequence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoAzpa1x7jU

_________________
Cogito Ergo Bibo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
raymondo30837



Joined: 05 Nov 2010
Posts: 185


Location: France

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor Clements wrote:
No, it didn't. What did for me with alcohol was two years on a ship with an all Scots crew, and whiskey a frequent cargo. I cant even smell the stuff now without feeling ill.

I still like a decent beer, I mean a decent one not the mass produced rubbish the big boys turn out. A glass of New Zealand sauvignon blanc, or a gin and tonic.

I'm a bit surpised none of my contemporaries seem to remember the friendhip club.


Surely.....We should all remember our former college as the friendship club..We really are a dying breed....Our former profession as wireless officers is dead..but our memories are still alive........73 (best wishes) Ray
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
raymondo30837



Joined: 05 Nov 2010
Posts: 185


Location: France

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Friendship Club, and St Johns Sunday Evening's. Reply with quote

Trevor Clements wrote:
Do any of you reprobates remember The Friendship Club? It was a youth club somewhere in the town which I attended a few times. Quite good for dancing as they played lots of Buddy Holly and Eddie Cochrane stuff.

More staid was St Johns ( Revd Copplestone) where the girls used to serve up fabulous sandwiches, but the entertainment was more sobering. At one time I was on the Committee with Mr Sackville, the lovely Joan Morgan, I think Gus Lynch as well? They organised a very good trip to Liverpool just before I left.
Some (unkind) students nicknsamed Joan Morgan 'The Lobster' on account of a very bright scarlett coat which she used to wear. A very nice girl though, I often wonder what became of her. Mr Sackville was a very sober man who only ever drank hot water, but he was very kind. He once gave us a bit of a lecture on the evils of alcohol.



Hello Trevor...Clearly you have many memories of our college days...Please post again...It could be the catalyst that keeps this sinking ship afloat. Regards Ray

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wirelesscollege.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Jack & Alans Hostilery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Card File  Gallery  Forum Archive
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum